Monday, 4 November 2013
Testing all of the links within an XML sitemap using Scrutiny
I have been recently asked how to do this. Although Scrutiny can open a list of links in plain text or html formats, it won't currently open an xml sitemap file and test the links.
I will write this functionality into Scrutiny but in the mean time, here's my workaround:
2. edit your sitemap file in a text or code editor. Take out the first few lines and replace with:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="http://peacockmedia.co.uk/displaysitemap.xsl"?>
(in files generated by Scrutiny the <urlset> tag says <urlset xmlns="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9"> - I don't know why the namespace stops this from working but it does)
3. open the sitemap file in a browser. The browser should display only the urls as a list.
4. 'select all' and copy that information
5. paste into a new text document, give it a name and save it somewhere
6. open that file in Scrutiny, check 'plain text mode' and press Go
I'm sure there's an easier way, let me know if you think of one.